Tuesday 23 September 2014

Tuesday's Trickle !

Autumn is undoubtedly my favourite time of year, the changing landscape from golden to rich brown, the earthy smell, hedgerows laden with their rich crops of fruit and of course the wonder of visible migration.
I spent a very pleasant couple of hours with my canine companions walking and sitting around Harrington Airfield.  Birds were definitely on the move as there was a constant trickle of hirundines, Meadow Pipits and Skylarks flying over. Other "fly overs" included 2 Siskin, 2+ Grey Wagtail , a Tree Sparrow and 4 Crossbill. 
The bushes appeared quiet and I could only find a handful of warblers, Whitethroat, Lesser Whitethroat, Blackcap, Chiffchaff and Willow Warbler, plus a Marsh Tit.
There were 4 Grey Partridge,15 Golden Plover and 2 Wheatear on the field between the main track and rough strip.
Plenty of Red Kite and Common Buzzard showing well as they remain attracted to the recently harvested fields.
After a quick coffee I was out again with the other two dogs who are on "shorter" walks. This time to the southern most fields of Blueberry Farm. A large flock of tits/warblers moved along one of their favourite hedgerows, but I couldn't find anything different amongst them.
Scanning the field produced 4+ Whinchat and "the" female Peregrine.  Again numerous Red Kites flying low or foraging on the newly scuffled fields. They were very vocal today with their beautiful evocative call which I never tire of hearing.
I did have a few "chores" to complete today and whilst undertaking one of these I picked up 3 cronking Ravens over Beckworth Emporium near Sywell.
Late afternoon found me back at Blueberry where I walked around the largest and highest fields. The views from the top of this field are superb and make the walk up worth it.  As I looked around the skies were littered with raptors, mainly Kestrel, Red Kite and Common Buzzard, but also 2 Hobby.
There were a pair of Stonechat tucked in the furthest corner of this field and 3 Grey Partridge were flushed up.
I was aware that Meadow Pipits, Skylarks and Hirundines were still on the move. I wonder how many have moved through on this steady trickle today?


Regards Eleanor

No comments: