Sunday 11 August 2013

And then there were two !!!

What a better way to start Sunday morning than with a wander at Harrington Airfield with my 3 collie dogs in tow ! There were plenty of common birds to look at, Goldfinches, Greenfinches, Reed Buntings, Whitethroats and Hirundines to name but a few. 

At 08.30hrs a "cream crown Marsh Harrier" flew over the track in front of me and disappeared from view. Then a Hobby came hurtling through the hirundines and disappeared in the same direction.

Two Whinchat were perched on some dead looking weed stems by the side of the track and a Redstart and Turtle Dove in the bushes at the end of the main track.

I decided to walk down to the pond and as I did so an adult Grey Partridge with 4 well grown young broke cover.  I noticed a raptor quartering the wheat and it was "the" Marsh Harrier, but as I watched I was aware that it had been joined by another raptor........another cream crown Marsh Harrier.!!  This was at 09.00. I watched them for about 10 mins and they were clearly enjoying the sun and breeze as they interacted with one another , before heading off across the fields towards the Brampton Valley Way. 

Regards Eleanor

No comments: