Thursday 22 October 2020

Autumn Glory

The only problem with going on holiday for a few weeks is that it takes a few days to catch up. The last couple of days have been spent doing the mundane chores of shopping, washing, opening the mail etc etc.  Hopefully I am now up to date.

Today I managed a fair amount of birding and it was lovely to be out and about on such a glorious day.  My first outing was an early run where I noted a pair of Stonechat below Hanging Houghton and good numbers of skylark, starlings, corvids and winter thrushes feeding on the newly sown crop fields.

I had to go to Duston late morning and my route took me past Harlestone Firs so it seemed the perfect opportunity to stop off for a walk. I very nearly didn't stop as there were so many cars parked on the road near the entrance, but my two young collies needed a walk so the decision was made for me.  Once I got off the main track I hardly met anyone. All I can say is "wow", the trees looked magnificent in their autumn colours, such a wonderful mixture of green, reds, orange, yellows and gold, although I think that the best is yet to come. Probably in a couple of weeks time the trees will look at their best. I must remember to take my camera !!  After a 2 hour amble I had notched up quite a list of birds including 4 Crossbills, 2 Ravens, Chiffchaff, pr Stonechat , Jays and at least three large mixed tit flocks.  The other thing that I noticed was the amount of different fungi present. A lovely array of shapes, colours and sizes. Such a shame that I didn't know all their names, perhaps I need to put this on my "to do" list !!!

As it was such a beautiful afternoon I went to Harrington Airfield where again the autumn colours of the bushes/trees contrasted against the deep rich brown earth of the deeply ploughed fields creating a stunning backdrop. All the while I was there small flocks of Golden Plover were flying around and filling the air with their evocative calls. They settled on the fields between the airfield and Lamport and a rough estimate was 200 birds.  Plenty of Redwings and Fieldfares in the bushes plus a single Chiffchaff.  I came across a pair of Stonechat near bunker 3 and as I stood scanning the fields picked up a male Merlin hunting the numerous skylarks.

It was no great surprise to find a few butterflies on the wing today. I saw Speckled Wood, Peacock and 2 Red Admirals in a sunny sheltered spot near the dam at Pitsford..


Regards Eleanor

No comments: