Tuesday 11 August 2020

The Heat drags on !

It has been a hot couple of days which has influenced the amount of birding I have been able to do.  Yesterday a slow steady walk through the bushes on the rough area produced a superb male Common Redstart and an immature Common Redstart, plus a couple of Clouded Yellow butterflies.

As I was up early this morning I decided to run around the big side at Pitsford reservoir.  It was a beautiful morning and everywhere looked so tranquil and serene. As I ran along the dam at 06.30hrs a Spoonbill flew low infront of me and headed southwards. I assume that this is the same individual that has been doing the rounds of the local gravel pits and reservoirs.  The only other birds of note were 4 Common Sandpipers.

A walk around Blueberry produced 2 Whinchats, a Common Redstart and several Clouded Yellows.  These butterflies seem to be attracted to several "nectar" strips between Hanging Houghton, Blueberry and Cottesbrooke.   Also seen on my walk were 2 stunning Roe Deer who were trying their best to melt into the background as they stood like a couple of statues and I could imagine them saying "don't move and she wont see us "...... how wrong they were !!  As usual I had some of the dogs with me and suddenly Tor the hound tried to run off in fright which was quite difficult as he was attached to me whilst my young collie Rouzel literally jumped 3 ft in the air and all her hair stood on end.  They had found a Grass Snake sunbathing.  Eventually it slipped slowly away. Never a dull moment!!


Regards Eleanor 

No comments: