Sunday 2 February 2020

Weekend Round Up

Over the last few days I've managed to get out and about a bit more. On Friday I walked around Sywell Reservoir. It is always a pleasant walk and there is always something to see and often you can get quite close to the birds.  A Cettis warbler was calling and clambering about in the reeds and as I stood watching it thinking " I wish that I had my camera" it literally ran over my feet !!
Other birds seen included Grey Wagtail, small flock of Siskins , Chiffchaff and a pair of Stonechat.

Yesterday I visited Pitsford.  I nearly got blown away as I stood on the dam and it was impossible to hold the scope steady. Needless to say that I didn't find anything of note.
The small side was sheltered and there was plenty of wildfowl loafing on the water and looking quite splendid in the winter sunshine.  In the Walgrave arm were 3 Red Crested Pochard, 2 males and a female plus a Great White Egret.  At one point the birds flew out from the very back of the bay and there was a pair of Goosander which after a short flight disappeared from view again at the very back of the bay.
There were 2 pairs of Stonechat in the Scaldwell arm.

Harrington has been very quiet, infact today it appeared to be a "birdless" zone.   The valley below Hanging Houghton hasn't been much better as this too appears to have lost all it's birds. But our garden has been extremely busy Blackcap, Nuthatch, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Yellowhammers and Reed Bunting visiting daily.

I wonder what the coming week will bring ?

Regards Eleanor

No comments: