Saturday 13 July 2019

A quiet couple of days where my birding has been confined to the nearby fields due to having no transport.
Yesterday on my run I saw Turtle Dove and Grey Partridge at Harrington Airfield and heard plenty of Chiffchaff in full song.
I spent a few hours walking the fields around Blueberry Farm and below Hanging Houghton but despite being a lovely day I saw very little of note. A couple of adult Grey Partridge, goodness knows what has happened to any young, and plenty of warblers.  Plenty of butterflies on the wing including good numbers of Marbled White and Painted Lady.
This afternoon whilst in the field behind the house I heard the familiar call of Common Redstart and found a rather scruffy looking male in the hedge and a Cuckoo gave a few calls from the nearby field.
Our garden is still busy with birds and they seem to be eating as much food as they do in the winter months !!!  It can get quite noisy at times with the young Starlings, Jackdaws, Great Spotted Woodpeckers and Nuthatches.

Regards Eleanor

No comments: