Wednesday 22 May 2019

Quiet ??

On the surface it would appear that everything has gone " quiet" but the reality is that the birds are simply getting on with breeding. In our garden both the Blue Tit and Pied Wagtail adults are very busy collecting food for their youngsters.  The Pied Wagtails are not at all put off by the dogs and literally run around them whilst they are playing.  Over the last couple of days we have been inundated with young Starlings who are extremely vocal and entertaining to watch. They have such cheeky expressions on their faces. I could watch their antics all day.
Yesterday I went on what I call a " Forest Gump" run as when I start out I have no idea of where I'm going or how long I will run for.  My route took me along the Brampton Valley Way towards Market Harborough.  When I reached the tunnels at Kelmarsh I couldn't decide whether to run through or not and whilst deliberating I heard a Wood Warbler singing in the small copse and could see it shaking as it sang from the top of a small tree. 
I decided against running through the tunnel and instead headed off to Harrington Airfield where a Grasshopper Warbler and Turtle Dove were present.   Other birds on my run included Raven, Grey Partridge, Grey Wagtail, Spotted Flycatcher, Cuckoo and loads of warblers.
There are always plenty of other things to look at. There have been some stunning sunrise and sunset skies.  Plenty of butterflies around and today large numbers of Orange Tip and Brimstone.  At Harrington Airfield there are a few very fresh Common Spotted Orchid out in flower . I've been lucky enough to bump into my favourite, the Brown Hare, as well as Fox, Badger, Roe Deer and Munjac.

Regards Eleanor

No comments: