Tuesday 16 April 2019

Today has been a strange day where I have literally bumped into some good birds whilst out and about doing chores. However the day started on a very quiet note with nothing seen on my early walk followed by a run.
I headed to Pitsford Reservoir with my young pup in tow and decided to walk part of the bigside with her hoping to meet lots of runners, cyclists, people etc so that she gets used to them.  I was not disappointed with the lovely weather bringing everyone out.  Of course I took the opportunity to do some birding and I was amazed to see a Great Northern Diver present just beyond the Pintail Bay. Whilst scanning I picked up an Osprey coming in over the dam . I didn't see it catch anything but it was certainly interested.
Back home and a quick change before heading out but I was side tracked by a huge flock, approx 400 strong, of Fieldfares feeding in the field behind our house.
Early afternoon whilst visiting relatives in Sywell I heard a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker calling well from small spinney close to the road.
Then it was time to feed the birds at Harrington Airfield. The rough area/bunkers was quiet so I decided to complete a circuit taking in the main track.  I came across a male Ring Ouzel in the bushes around the shooting wall and a further two birds flew over. 
I finished the day with a Barn Owl hunting below the village but no sign of the Great Grey Shrike today.

Regards Eleanor

No comments: