Sunday 7 April 2019

Good timing !!

Today it was a case of being in the right place at the right time.   Just before 07.30am I was scanning the bushes along the stream below Hanging Houghton when the Barn Owl came into view and showed well. I had just started my walk with the dogs when I looked up and saw the Great Grey Shrike perched on top of a small tree in front of me.
Late morning I visited Pitsford Reservoir where it was quite misty and grey. On walking down the old road to the feeding station I checked the hedgerow for a Little Owl which often sits there, but no luck. However 20 mins later when I walked back up the road it was sitting out in full view.   Not much to see from scanning the small side apart from a drake Red Crested Pochard and a nice flock of displaying Goldeneye.
The dam area was more productive as 2 lovely adult Little Gulls dropped in by the tower. Other birds included a Yellow Wagtail, Northern Wheatear and several Swallows.
By the time I visited Harrington Airfield it was late afternoon and birds were hard to find and it was now drizzling. Northern Wheatear, Willow Warbler, Yellow Wagtail and over 100 Fieldfare were the best birds.
 However I then had two very different encounters. Firstly the dogs got highly excited over a scent which led them to stare rather tentatively into one of the many deep holes around the bunkers.  When I peered into the hole they were looking into I found myself staring into the rather cute face of a polecat !!!!   It had obviously fallen/jumped into the hole and couldn't climb the smooth deep sides to get out. It was a beautiful looking creature. So we all stared at each other for a few minutes before I collected some wood and branches and put them into the hole hoping that the polecat would climb out.   As it seemed reluctant to move whilst I was standing there I wandered off around the bunkers and left it alone.  About 30 mins later I decided to wander back and see how the polecat was getting on and as I neared the hole I had my second encounter, a group of young lads clutching armfuls of alcohol and bags.  I don't know who jumped the most, me or them. Anyway my young collie was not happy with them and sounded quite fierce as he barked at them and they scarpered very quickly over the field towards the main road.  Goodness knows what they were up to ?
I carried on to the polecat in the hole and thankfully it had managed to get out using my makeshift wooden ladder.
My good sense of timing continued as I just reached my car before a very heavy shower appeared, phew.

Regards Eleanor

No comments: