Monday 20 August 2018

Monday's Musings

Yesterday I visited the Bird Fair at Rutland Water . I had a lovely day catching up with friends both local and from overseas as I wandered around the 8 marquees full of fabulous displays, information, optics, clothing, bird food , books etc and the many tempting offers on view.  I didn't listen to any of the huge variety of lectures on offer but I did watch the pantomime !!!!  It was a "take" on the well known story of "Wind in the Willows" and it was hilarious with some well known TV folk taking part. 
 I was pleasantly surprised to find a lack of crowds so it was quite easy to move around and view things. Apparently Friday was "manic" there.   I did witness a sudden movement of birders who migrated quickly to the BTO ringing demonstration when it came over the tanoy that a Grasshopper Warbler had been caught and could be seen in the hand , a bird which many folk have never seen at such close quarters.

This morning it felt as if there should be something about, or maybe it was simply wishful thinking on my part. With this in mind I headed for Harrington Airfield where I saw absolutely nothing !!! It was almost a birdless zone.
This afternoon I fared a little better in the valley below Hanging Houghton/ Blueberry Area where I bumped into a Northern Wheater, Whinchat, Common Redstart and a Curlew.

Regards Eleanor

No comments: