Friday 14 April 2017

Potential developments for Freight Terminals and loss of habitat

Below is a message we have received regarding proposals to site two Rail Freight Terminals on the outskirts of Northampton and of  the possible implications for the wildlife. I have included it on our blog site to raise awareness and to provide the opportunity to contact Brian for further information and/or sign the petition if you so wish. 
Whilst I am not very familiar with the area in question alot of my birding is done on farmland and I know just how important our farmland is in supporting our birds and other wildlife. Any loss of this habitat will have a significant impact on our birds and once it has gone it will be too late for some of the species we take for granted.


My name is Brian Sumpton and I have been a RSPB volunteer for over 30  
years. I am currently working on wildlife issues for a group called stop  
rail central. I am sure many of your members will know about the proposals  
to site two massive Rail Freight Terminals near junctions 15 and 15A of the  
M1. If these go ahead almost1,200 acres of farmland will be lost to  
wildlife. Whilst this area is not of major importance for birds it is  
classed as supporting habitat for the Upper Nene Valley Gravel Pits SPA.  
Notable birds include overwintering Golden Plover, (500+), Lapwings and  
Skylarks. As a part of our fight to stop these proposals going ahead we  
have a petition that will go to the Secretary of State for Transport. Could  
I ask if your members would be prepared to sign our petition,I can send a  
paper based version, or on our website at norailinterchange.co.uk
Andrea Leadsom our local MP and SoS for the Environment is supporting us
Please feel free to contact me should you wish to discuss.
Thanks,
Regards,
Brian Sumpton | briansumpton1@btinternet.com

Link to the petition 


Regards Eleanor

No comments: