Saturday 22 April 2017

Bluebells and Birds

It has been a lovely sunny day and for once I've managed to be out and about for most of it.
First stop was Ravensthorpe Reservoir which was very quiet apart from an Osprey going over heading towards the village. On to Daventry Reservoir which was equally as quiet.
I decided to visit Badby Wood as I knew that the bluebells would be out which are one of my favourite flowers. I parked at Fawsley where there was a Water Rail, Sedge Warbler, Kingfisher, Grey Wagtail and 2 Siskins. I then headed across the fields towards the wood following the Knightley Way which gives some stunning views across the rolling south Northamptonshire countryside. As I entered the wood I was not disappointed as I was met by a rich carpet of blue, dappled sunlight and the sweet heady perfume smell of the bluebells, a truly wonderful sight.  A good walk round produced 2 Brambling, 2+ Siskin, 4 scruffy looking Raven, Marsh tit,numerous Nuthatches and two Roe Deer.
I then headed towards my agility training at Staverton and took the gated road to Upper Catesby. It is quite an interesting area and over the years we have seen some good birds along this road. This morning there were at least 6 Northern Wheatears and a male Ring Ouzel feeding in a sheep field.
Tor was his usual self at agility, making everyone laugh whilst I was pulling my hair out and the resident Ravens were entertaining .
I decided that we both still had a bit of energy left so I had a wander around Borough Hill where there was a male Common Redstart and 2 Northern Wheatear.
This evening there was a Barn Owl, 2 Northern Wheatears and a pair of Grey Partridge in the valley below Hanging Houghton.
Tomorrow will definitely be a quieter day for myself and the dogs.

Regards Eleanor

No comments: