Thursday 25 August 2016

Redstarts Return !!

Yesterday I made an early morning visit to Harrington Airfield and found it to be "busy" with birds. Whitethroats adorned every bush, the air was filled with the jingling calls from a large flock of Goldfinch and Linnet. The large covey of Grey Partridge made me jump as they literally exploded in all directions as I walked through the scrubby area.  It was a case of walking slowly and stopping regularly to see what was flying over or might pop out of the bushes. It was whilst loitering in this manner that I discovered a Corn Bunting, very rare in the county, Garden Warbler, 2 Redstarts and a Turtle Dove.
A couple of walks in the valley below Hanging Houghton/ Blueberry area produced a cream crowned Marsh Harrier, 2 Redstarts, Whinchat, 2 Stonechat and Hobby.
This morning I ran around the big side of Pitsford Reservoir and notched up 4 Common Sandpiper, 6 Little Egret, 2 Grey Wagtail and Kingfisher.
After a quick coffee and exchange of dogs I headed to Harrington Airfield, but as I'd got my old collie I didn't walk very far. But even so I managed 2 or 3 Redstarts, one of which was a superb male giving good views as he was flycatching from the top of a bush.
I finished my birding by checking the hedgerow between Old and Walgrave . I accessed this by taking the footpath from Bridle Road Old and walking over two small grass fields before following the footpath in the direction of Pitsford Reservoir.  Here there were at least 4 Redstarts showing well and vocal. At one time I was watching 4 of them flying out of the hedge, landing on the field and then flying up onto the fence posts where they sat "shimmering" their tales. A lovely sight.  This was just after 5pm.  As I stood scanning I could see a Cream crowned Marsh Harrier over the back of the Walgrave arm.
I have also noticed more Siskins, Meadow Pipit and Blackbirds about today.

Regards Eleanor

No comments: