Monday 25 April 2016

Redstart's in the snow !!!

Where has the warm weather gone to ?  I had to sort out my fleece layers and gloves today as the cold north wind continues, brrrr. 
I don't think that the birds are enjoying this weather either as they are certainly keeping a low profile.
What I have noticed is the return to our garden of a Brambling, 2 Lesser Redpoll, 10 Reed Buntings and 8 Yellowhammer , all busy tucking into the food. The increased number of birds in the garden has not gone undetected by the local Sparrowhawks who have made several successful strikes. 
Yesterday the only birds I could find were at least 8 Wheatears as I scanned the promising looking bean fields at Harrington Airfield.
Today was slightly better. This morning there was a very showy singing Grasshopper Warbler at Blueberry Farm in the field nearest the farm itself. It was behaving as if it had just arrived and took absolutely no notice of myself or the dogs. I did regret not taking my camera as even with my bridge camera I would have managed a reasonable shot.
This afternoon more dog walking, this time across the fields between Walgrave and Old.  Initially the skies were blue and the sun shining, but this soon changed to grey and rain which turned into snow !!!!  Myself and the dogs took shelter in the hedgerow which had been productive last autumn for Redstart's etc.  After the snow had stopped the sun came back out again and so did 2 male Common Redstarts. They were obviously doing the same as me and taking shelter from the inclement weather.
This field is quite raised and gives good views all around and whilst scanning I looked over towards the back of the Walgrave Bay of Pitsford Reservoir and watched a Great White Egret fly out of the reservoir and drop into a pond situated between the back of the reservoir and Walgrave village.  I do not know whether this is a new bird or one of the long staying birds which has obviously been hiding itself away.
The day would not be complete without a visit to Harrington Airfield and a look at the bean fields. It was very bleak, cold , windy and it snowed again !!  But I soon forgot about that as I watched a male Ring Ouzel near the shooting wall. Definitely a new bird as it was in superb pristine plumage.  
There were no other birds of note and I've just watched the weather forecast and sadly no change for the next few days.  Oh well, I've got plenty of jobs to do !

Regards  Eleanor 

No comments: