Birding remains hard work in this cold spell. Whilst I seem to be struggling to find anything, spare a thought for the birds who feed on insects as they must be really finding it hard. As I was watching the numerous Hirundines flying low over the water at Pitsford I wondered how many would not survive due to lack of food and cold , the last thing they need after their long journey to get here.
Our garden was again very busy with birds including 2 Lesser Redpoll, a Brambling, Reed Buntings and Yellowhammers. This afternoon there was a noticable increase in the birds feeding, then a couple of hours later the garden was completely white as we had quite a heavy snow shower !!! Totally bizarre .
Yesterday the only birds of interest were the Ruddy Shelduck below the dam at Pitsford Reservoir and a significant movement of Yellow Wagtail.
Today there was a Whinchat, Grasshopper Warbler and Barn Owl in the valley below Hanging Houghton and 4+ Wheatear at Harrington Airfield but very little else.
- Trip Reports Dec 2015
- Ringing - 27th Oct
- Birdwatching Site Maps 4th November
- Brazil 2012
- Images from Bob Bullock 14th June
- Robin's Wildlife Antics 31st May
- John Boland and his birds... 13th Feb
- Portugal 2013
- Presentations November 2016
- Ethiopia Nov 2013
- Useful Links 17th Oct
- Dave Jackson Images 4th March
- Clive Bowley Wildlife Images 10th June
- Robin's Wildlife Images 29th April
- Brazil revisited 27th October
- Images from John Tilly 11th May