Thursday 10 September 2015

Yet more of the same !!!

Today really has been a beautiful "Autumn" day and I have been lucky enough to spend most of it outside.
I was out and about by 07.30am and already the tractors were busy scuffling the fields with masses of Gulls following on behind.
As I headed off towards Blueberry it was obvious that birds were on the move, both along the hedgerows and flying over. On my walk round I saw 2 Redstarts, 8 Whinchat, 2 Spotted Flycatcher, 2 Lesser Whitethroat as well as Whitethroats, Blackcaps and Willow Warbler. There was a steady trickle of Siskins , Meadow Pipit and Skylark flying over.
After a quick coffee I headed off to Harrington Airfield . It has been quiet here of late but today there were birds everywhere! Not necessarily rare birds, but just sheer numbers and obvious migration.  Meadow Pipits, Skylarks, Siskins and Hirundines were clearly on the move.  The flock of Linnets and Finches seem to have trebled overnight.  There was at least 2 Redstarts , 2 Spotted Flycatcher,  6 Whinchat , 8+ Grey Partridge and a juv Marsh Harrier around the bunkers.
Entertainment was provided by a group of 6 Ravens each one making bizarre noises and sounding like a dysfunctional orchestra !
Again because the farmers are busy scuffling and ploughing this is attracting Gulls, Starlings, Raptors including many Red Kites and Common Buzzard.  
If I had more time I would have spent more time there as I'm sure that there was the real "potential" for a goodie to fly over.
Early evening I checked the hedgerow between Walgrave and the reservoir and easily counted 5 Common Redstarts who were vocal and putting on a good display of hopping along the fence posts and shimmering their whole body and then flitting down to the ground in the sheep field and back up on the fence posts for more shimmering and tail flicking. The best access is from the footpath Bridle Road, Old which is about a 10 minute walk across 3 small fields.

Regards Eleanor

No comments: