Thursday 17 September 2015

Redstarts Remain !

Decisions, decisions........where to start the day !!!  My calculation is usually based upon the weather, what if any birds I can hear flying over the garden and which combination of dogs I will take out first. !!
This morning I started with a good yomp at Blueberry Farm with the younger dogs. Small flocks of birds , mainly Blackcaps, Willow Warblers, Whitethroats,  Reed Buntings and Finches were moving around in the hedgerows . There was also 2 Spotted Flycatcher, at least 2 Common Redstart , 6 Whinchat and a Wheatear.
Plenty of Siskins, Meadow Pipits and Hirundines constantly flying over as well as a couple of Grey Wagtails and Lesser Redpolls.
Then it was a bit of a slow saunter with the older dogs at Harrington Airfield.  Whilst having a "rest" I watched a Hobby catch and eat insects just in front of me and a Tree Pipit flew over.
Otherwise it was much quieter here today, apart from Siskins constantly flying over.
Whilst at Walgrave late in the afternoon I managed to walk across the fields to check the "hedgerow" and there were at least 5 Common Redstart present. There were two superb males who were being constantly chased around by the resident Robin and 3 female types which he totally ignored.
As I walked back following the stream there was a Wheatear and 2 Whinchat.........and of course more Siskins.!

Regards Eleanor

No comments: