Friday 6 February 2015

Ditchford WeBS Count

Hello

This morning people representing DEFRA were again at Pitsford Reservoir, hellbent on destroying the very last male Ruddy Duck on site. So with boats and shooters all south of the causeway and access prevented to the reserve for visitors, yet again all the local wildlife was disturbed to execute what I consider a completely misguided policy. I guess they killed the innocent duck and it and I will never understand the justification when there are far more important environmental issues to tackle. I rarely enter the political world to make my comments publicly, but this whole process has made my blood boil and I know I'm not alone.

Much of the day was taken up completing the February WeBS count at Ditchford Gravel Pits. Plenty of ice on the pits but very, very muddy around the edges! In pleasant weather, the birding was quiet with the highlights being two Great White Egrets (one west of Ditchford Lane and another on the main pit between Higham Ferrers and Irthlingborough), 16 Egyptian Geese (on and around the Watersport Pit west of Ditchford Lane) and a couple of mobile Goosander. Other birds included four Kingfishers, a Little Egret, just one Chiffchaff, three Cetti's Warblers and a Water Rail.

Regards

Neil M

No comments: