Monday 24 November 2014

Sunny Summer Leys

What a difference a day makes. After the wash out that was Sunday today was bright and sunny, if somewhat cooler.
As it was sunny I decided to try my luck at Summer Leys, in the hope that there may be a Bittern enjoying the warmth. As with yesterday my hopes were not realised. There was a marked absence of waterfowl on the main lake, presumably due to the high water levels caused by the recent rains. The only bird of note was a Peregrine sunning itself on a distant pylon. Approximately 200 Golden Plover periodically filled the air with their calls as they flew around the reserve. 2 Cetti's Warblers were also vocal a little closer to the ground.

Spot the pylon



                                        Spot the Peregrine on the pylon

The pylon the Peregrine was sitting on is somewhere in the middle third of the top picture, I think! Both pictures were taken on my phone, the second one through my telescope.

      Regards,
               
                 Neil H.

No comments: