Tuesday 28 October 2014

Tuesday's Tales

Another glorious Autumn day with plenty of sunshine and light breeze.  I was up and about early this morning as were the Short Eared Owl and pair of Stonechat in the southern most field at Blueberry Farm.
After a quick coffee I took the younger dogs and headed to Harrington Airfield where I spent the next few hours. Initially there were birds everywhere !! Big numbers of passerines on the top fields including Skylark, Yellowhammer, Linnet, Reed Bunting and Goldfinch, but despite intensive scrutiny I couldn't find anything else different amongst them.  Small flocks of Starling and Redwing were constantly flying over. Harrington is one of those rare places where you can actually physically feel, hear and see migration happening and it can be quite remarkable.
The conditions, plenty of food, sunshine and breeze was perfect for raptors and it was only a matter of time before they put in an appearance.  A female Merlin came low across the fields and caused the passerines to panic. She appeared to catch something before she continued on her way.
Whilst sitting around the bunkers scanning I picked up a male Peregrine, 8+ Red Kites and numerous Common Buzzard.
As I walked back along the main track I was accompanied by 2 "cronking" Ravens.
This afternoon I visited Sywell Reservoir but despite walking round I only saw 6+ Siskins, 2 Grey Wagtail and a pair of Stonechat.

Regards Eleanor

No comments: