Wednesday 15 October 2014

Spotshank and Owls !

After the excitement of the morning I was expecting a quiet afternoon as a friend and I took our dogs to Sywell Reservoir.  For the size of the water there were plenty of common waterfowl including 2 stunning drake Goldeneye.  But the best bird was a Spotted Redshank which flew round and round giving good views and it was calling continually as it looked for somewhere to land before flying off over the dam. 

In the carpark area were Grey Wagtail, Kingfisher, Nuthatch, Tawny Owl and a few Siskins.

I spent early evening [6pm] at the southern end of Blueberry Farm area. There were quite a few Redwings and Jays on the move. 
The light went very quickly and I had given up any hope of seeing anything else when I realised that one of the dogs was gazing intently at something.  I followed his gaze and saw a Short-eared Owl hunting very low a few metres in front of me[ 18.40hrs]. Not a good view as poor light.

As I turned the car round to drive home I picked out a Barn Owl in the headlights and then when I was nearly back to the village , again through the headlights I saw another Barn Owl perched on a bench.

Regards Eleanor

No comments: