The Stortons Gravel Pits ringing team were out and busy this morning, catching an excellent 102 birds. Highlights included an adult male Water Rail, 22 Greenfinches, plenty of Goldfinches, 8 Blackcaps, a Chiffchaff and 8 Reed Buntings.
At Harrington Airfield it was day two of ringing which provided a more modest catch of 42 birds in our efforts of trying to better understand population dynamics and migration. Six Blackbirds caught and ringed appeared to have just arrived and were probably of continental origin judging from their plumage and other traits. Other birds included a juvenile Song Thrush, 3 Blackcaps, 3 new Robins, 2 Goldcrests, 2 Chiffchaffs, 2 Goldfinches, 4 Reed Buntings, 4 Yellowhammers and 4 Meadow Pipits.
Other birds noted on the disused airfield included 6+ Golden Plovers, up to five Ravens, 3-4 Redwings, a couple of Yellow Wagtails and common raptors.
- Trip Reports Dec 2015
- Ringing - 27th Oct
- Birdwatching Site Maps 4th November
- Brazil 2012
- Images from Bob Bullock 14th June
- Robin's Wildlife Antics 31st May
- John Boland and his birds... 13th Feb
- Portugal 2013
- Presentations November 2016
- Ethiopia Nov 2013
- Useful Links 17th Oct
- Dave Jackson Images 4th March
- Clive Bowley Wildlife Images 10th June
- Robin's Wildlife Images 29th April
- Brazil revisited 27th October
- Images from John Tilly 11th May