Monday 1 September 2014

Right time and right place

 Our life experiences are formed by being "in the right place at the right time" and birding is no different.
My plans for this morning included an early morning walk followed by a run, however, this had to be changed as I woke up with a thumping headache. By the time I went out it was already ten o clock and raining.
As Bobbie remains on limited exercise I went to Harrington Airfield so that I could use her buggy.  Despite the weather there were plenty of birds in the bushes and on the fields. There was a large flock of Linnet and Goldfinch on the fresh plough by the roadside. Plenty of Whitethroat and a large tit flock moving along the roadside bushes between the compound and green gate. There were at least 2 Whinchat and a Redstart also in this area.
The bushes around the shooting wall were also busy, mainly with Blackcap, Whitethroat and Willow Warbler. As I peered into the bushes I could see 2 Turtle Doves sitting very quietly and also a Redstart.
I continued my walk along the track and this is where I had my " in the right place at the right time" moment[11am]. I was aware of a medium sized dark bird coming from my left, from the direction of the pond, and it took me a few seconds to register what it was....a Glossy Ibis !!! It simply flew over me and continued to fly in the general direction of Pitsford Reservoir.  I certainly never expected to see one of the birds in the county let alone Harrington.
Birds were also plentiful around the bunkers, again good numbers of Whitethroat and also Blackbirds. Birds of note included a Redstart, 2 Wheatear and 2 Raven.
The Turtle Doves were on the main track when I walked back.


Regards Eleanor

No comments: