Tuesday 26 August 2014

Weather birds

Apologies for late blog, computer problems !!


I managed to spend most of the day out birding, dog walking and dodging the showers !


During my first wet walk of the day in the valley below Hanging Houghton, a group of 5 Greenshank flew over heading towards Brixworth.


I decided to walk the two young dogs around the south side of Pitsford Reservoir, hoping that the drizzle and winds would produce some birds.  One of the first birds I noticed was a Woodpigeon sitting on one of the picnic tables . Nothing unusual in that you might think ? But it was sitting in an elongated pose looking skyward and as I followed it's gaze and saw a female Peregrine Falcon circling around.  Minutes later the gulls flushed up in a panic and I assumed that it was the Peregrine.......wrong, it was an Osprey.


I continued my walk round and saw a Garganey and a colour ringed [green on right and red on left leg] Little Egret near Pintail Bay.


A juvenile Arctic Tern was near the sailing club and a Ruff and a Sanderling on the shoreline near the Grange Bay.


On the long stretch from the Grange Bay to Catwalk Bay there were at least 4 Little Egrets, the Bar-headed Goose, 2 Ruddy Shelduck, a Whinchat, a Curlew flying over calling and a male Merlin. Finally there were 2 Common Sandpiper on the causeway.


After popping home to grab a cuppa and swap dogs I headed off to Harrington Airfield where it was obvious that there had been quite a fall of birds. I only walked along the "rough strip around the bunkers" and notched up Redstart, Whinchat, Spotted Flycatcher, Whitethroats and a Ring Ouzel.  There was a large mixed flock of birds moving through the bushes from the first to middle bunker.
The Turtle Doves were flying around the bushes and as I stood around at the end bunker a Curlew flew over calling and a male Merlin flew through. I wondered whether these were the same birds I had seen earlier in the day at Pitsford ?


There were also numerous Red Kites, Kestrel and Common Buzzard loafing around the recently harvested fields.


Butterflies included several Clouded Yellow including one of the 'Helica' form.


Regards


Eleanor

No comments: