Thursday 28 August 2014

Thursday Morning

Today was rather frustrating as it had the feel of being a "good birding" day and my suspicions were confirmed whilst out early this morning walking the dogs around Blueberry as the hedgerows were alive with birds.
One of the favourite hedges for birds which we call Shrike hedge although we have never seen one here.......yet , was especially busy with a mixed bird flock which was following the hedgeline.  Here there was at least one Redstart showing and another one calling. Warblers included Blackcap, Whitethroat, Lesser Whitethroat and Willow Warbler. There were also two Spotted Flycatcher flitting about catching insects and quite a mixture of Tits and Finches. I had to tear myself away from these birds much to the relief of the dogs who were keen to get going.
As I continued my walk around the fields I saw two Whinchat and a Grasshopper Warbler in the southern most field and another four Whinchat in the furthest corner of the big field. 
Most of the hedgerows held birds, notably Whitethroats, Blackcaps, Willow Warblers and Finches which were obviously on the move. There also seemed to be more Blackbirds in evidence.
The usual Red Kites, Common Buzzards and Kestrels were up and about and I saw the stunning "White Buzzard" . This is the first time I had seen her for a while, she is beautiful and very striking.


Sadly, that was my birding over and done with due to other commitments.  The only other birds of note were two Ravens which were loitering in the field behind the house this morning and were still there when I returned this evening.


Regards Eleanor

No comments: