Late yesterday evening and this morning there was some bird ringing in the Scaldwell Bay at Pitsford Reservoir leading to the capture of 74 birds which included only 12 re-traps. Species included 2 Great Spotted Woodpeckers, 12 Wrens, 9 Blackcaps, 7 Chiffchaffs, 6 new Robins, 3 Reed Warblers, 3 Sedge Warblers (almost certainly migrants as there is only one pair on the reserve this year), a Whitethroat and a Kingfisher.
Another ringing effort this morning at Broadholme Sewer Treatment Works adjacent to Ditchford Gravel Pits required more ringers present to set up, but only resulted in 7 birds being ringed (4 Starlings, a Pied Wagtail, a Carrion Crow and a Magpie). However three Peregrines put on a show all morning, and other birds included a Hobby, three Green Sandpipers and several Grey Wagtails.
This morning there was a Redstart and two Whinchat in 'shrike hedge' in the Brampton Valley between Cottesbrooke and Hanging Houghton, and this afternoon two Ravens and a Hobby sauntered over the garden here at Hanging Houghton.
Finally at Harrington Airfield today, birds on show included a Redstart, a Grasshopper Warbler and two Turtle Doves. A short ringing session is planned for this site tomorrow morning (Monday) and the old airstrip will have restricted general access. The concrete track and designated footpaths remain unaffected.
- Images from John Tilly 27th August
- Bird Ringing
- Brazil revisited
- Trip Reports
- Birdwatching Site Maps
- Dave Jackson Images 6th Jan
- Robin's Wildlife Images 22nd May
- John Boland and his birds... 13th Feb
- Images from Bob Bullock 14th June
- Brazil 2012
- Useful Links
- French Pyrenees June 2019
- Ardnamurchan 22nd - 29th Aug 2019
- Ardnamurchan 15th - 22nd Aug 2019
- The Algarve at Christmas 2019
- Cambodia 14th - 30th Jan 2020
- Cambodia 1st - 16th February 2020
- Cambodia 17th Feb - 3rd March 2020