It had been another quiet week on the birding front. Just the regular Turtle Doves at Harrington Airfield and Barn Owl and Grasshopper Warbler at Blueberry Farm. The butterflies had been more interesting with Marbled White seen at both these locations. Probably the best sightings were of the Vulcan, Red Arrows, Spitfire, Huricaine and the Blades aircraft !!!
I was out early this morning as have a busy day ahead and walked around Blueberry Farm area. I have seen more "good" birds today than in the past two weeks put together !!! A couple of Barn Owl were busy hunting, a flock of 8 Crossbill and an Osprey flew over. At Blueberry Farm itself as I stood waiting for Bazra to catch me up as he had gone off to round up the hot air balloon which was low overhead I saw a flash of red disappear round the corner.......it was a stunning male Black Redstart. There are some newish barns and whilst these were being constructed I checked the area regularly as it looked good for Black Redstart and this morning I couldn't believe it when I saw him.
We then continued around the big field where I said "good morning" to one of the Grasshopper Warblers and as we sat at the top watching the world go by I picked up a cream crown Marsh Harrier which appeared to be hunting.
Plenty of butterflies about, even at 07.00hrs, and several Marbled White noted.
- Images from John Tilly 27th August
- Bird Ringing
- Brazil revisited
- Trip Reports
- Birdwatching Site Maps
- Dave Jackson Images 6th Jan
- Robin's Wildlife Images 22nd May
- John Boland and his birds... 13th Feb
- Images from Bob Bullock 14th June
- Brazil 2012
- Useful Links
- French Pyrenees June 2019
- Ardnamurchan 22nd - 29th Aug 2019
- Ardnamurchan 15th - 22nd Aug 2019
- The Algarve at Christmas 2019
- Cambodia 14th - 30th Jan 2020
- Cambodia 1st - 16th February 2020
- Cambodia 17th Feb - 3rd March 2020