The day started with an early morning wander at Harrington Airfield, where there were at least 10 Bramblings along the main track. At the moment there does appear to be good numbers of Yellowhammer, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Linnet and Skylark which are worthy of a good long scan.......just in case!
There were also 2 Ravens, 2 Red Kites and 2 Grey Partridge.
Late morning found me walking around Sywell Reservoir where there are muddy margins and this afforded good views of 2 Water Rails running around squealing their heads off. How does such a lovely bird make these blood curdling noises ?! Even the dogs were bemused by the noise.
There was also a Green Sandpiper, 2 Grey Wagtails, pair of Stonechat, 2 Red Kites, 6 Lesser Redpolls and at least 30 Siskin.
Whilst enjoying lunch at Beckworths Emporium with friends I noticed 3 Red Kites circling above us.
My final outing was the southern end of the Blueberry Complex where the pair of Stonechat remain, and nearby 2 further Red Kites, a Barn Owl and a male Merlin whizzed over towards Hanging Houghton.
I saw 9 Red Kites today, that was without really trying, but I never tire of watching them, such graceful birds with their evocative call.
- Trip Reports Dec 2015
- Ringing - 27th Oct
- Birdwatching Site Maps 4th November
- Brazil 2012
- Images from Bob Bullock 14th June
- Robin's Wildlife Antics 31st May
- John Boland and his birds... 13th Feb
- Portugal 2013
- Presentations November 2016
- Ethiopia Nov 2013
- Useful Links 17th Oct
- Dave Jackson Images 2nd July
- Clive Bowley Wildlife Images 10th June
- Robin's Wildlife Images 29th April
- Brazil revisited 27th October
- Images from John Tilly 12th July