The first part of today was spent at Ditchford GP which was initially wet and blustery, and then it became sunny and blustery!
Two Egyptian Geese were present west of Ditchford Lane and at least one Peregrine was coasting around on the strong breeze. Other bird sightings were modest but included 4-5 Little Egrets, 4 Cetti's Warblers, 3 Chiffchaffs, 2 Grey Wagtails and 4 Kingfishers. Insects remained busy in the mild conditions with still reasonable numbers of Migrant Hawker and Common Darter whizzing about and several species of butterfly too.
A Brambling was seen at Hanging Houghton first thing this morning and a visit to Ravensthorpe Res this afternoon yielded a first winter Mediterranean Gull, a Green Sandpiper and a Kingfisher.
A late afternoon wander around Blueberry Farm, Maidwell provided a brief view of the adult male Hen Harrier again, with a 'ringtail' Hen Harrier being seen twice by another birder before this. As the light began to diminish, 2-3 Barn Owls emerged to hunt and two Ring Ouzels flew in to roost in a field hedge near to the southern end of the complex.
Eleanor and Neil McMahon
- Trip Reports Dec 2015
- Ringing - 27th Oct
- Birdwatching Site Maps 4th November
- Brazil 2012
- Images from Bob Bullock 14th June
- Robin's Wildlife Antics 31st May
- John Boland and his birds... 13th Feb
- Portugal 2013
- Presentations November 2016
- Ethiopia Nov 2013
- Useful Links 17th Oct
- Dave Jackson Images 8th August
- Clive Bowley Wildlife Images 10th June
- Robin's Wildlife Images 3rd August
- Brazil revisited 27th October