Sunday 8 September 2013

Weekend Wanderings

Despite being out and about over the weekend I'm afraid that the most success I had was getting caught in the sudden and heavy rain showers !!!
Yesterday a walk at Harrington was very quiet apart from 2 Red Kite and a Turtle Dove.  Pitsford was equally as quiet with the 2 Red Crested Pochards, Goldeneye, 6 Little Egret, 2 Greenshank and 3 Common Sandpiper present.
I hoped that Blueberry might save the day, but sadly not. My arrival coincided with a heavy downpour which put paid to the birds.
Today was somewhat better.  An early morning jog around Pitsford was rather pleasant and I easily notched up 8 Little Egrets. Then a wander in the Scaldwell bay produced 2 Red Crested Pochards, Goldeneye, Green Sandpiper and at least 4 Sandpiper. However the presence of a boat successfully emptied the bay of birds before I had finished scanning. The birds went everywhere so I've no idea what might have been there.
Late morning found me at Harrington Airfield where it was extremely quiet and I glimpsed a Turtle Dove.
I found myself back at Pitsford at 14.00hrs , just as an Osprey was circling over the causeway before heading off towards the back of the Scaldwell Bay.
Late this afternoon found me along the valley between HH and Cottesbrooke where again I timed it perfectly and again got caught up in a heavy shower !!!   As the dogs were tired and wet I stood watching from the southmost field of the Blueberry complex.  I'd even got my "new scope" with me and it performed really well . Mind you the 4 Whinchat were so close that I nearly didn't see them !!!  Whilst scanning the area I picked up a Marsh Harrier, Hobby, Red Kite and a Wheatear.
So that's another weekend over.....and a whole new week lies ahead. Hope it's a good one.

Regards  Eleanor

No comments: