Saturday 2 February 2013

Bird feeding again...

Hi

In between and including plenty of dog walking and other chores, it was a case of visiting and replenishing all the local wild bird feeding stations again today.  Despite mud everywhere, it was nice to be out and about with cool temperatures, plenty of sunshine and exceptional visibility.  It's hard to beat a really nice winter's day!

A single Brambling was present at the Old Scaldwell Road feeding station at Pitsford Res this morning and the birds at the feeding station in Christies Copse were pretty much standard fare.  At nearly all my feeding areas I now have tame cock Pheasants that almost run to greet me, and now the shooting season is over I guess they are going to be nice and fat and resplendent for the breeding season!

Sunderland Wood was particularly muddy, but I didn't mind as the slog to the feeders was worth it with a flock of Long-tailed Tits almost landing on me as I added some more fat to the feeder.  The local Robins seem to have survived the cold snap and hop up to meet me, and thankfully there are still reasonable numbers of Goldcrests and Wrens in the woods, but some must have perished in the severe conditions last month.

Two noisy Ravens were at Kelmarsh Hall, and the impressive finch flock utilizing the feed station here remains with 4 Bramblings, 3 Lesser Redpolls and a Siskin mixing in with the Chaffinches and Goldfinches.  Greenfinches seem very scarce though.  Scotland Wood was uneventful but the cheeky Marsh Tits were both scolding and singing at me as I refilled the feeders!

A brief visit to Harrington Airfield to broadcast more food was enough to spot two female Bramblings this morning, but I assume there would have been plenty more later.

A Raven was noted on the northern outskirts of Brixworth village just off the A508 today (possibly attracted to no less than three road kill Badgers in the last 48 hours).  

The food at the eighth feeding station was almost completely exhausted today (one of three feeding stations at Pitsford), but the birds soon came to see me as I filled the feeders here too.  Which just about left time to check the gull roost at Pitsford Reservoir this afternoon and it yielded a first winter Kittiwake, distant views of the Slavonian Grebe near the Holly Tree and a Redshank.

Regards

Neil M

No comments: