A wander in the Brampton Valley below Hanging Houghton and around Blueberry Farm was very busy with birds this morning. Large numbers of Meadow Pipits were on the move so it was no real surprise when a male Merlin appeared in pursuit. Other birds included 3 Redwings, 2+ redpoll sp, plenty of Skylarks and Siskins and 2 Barn Owls.
Then up to Harrington Airfield and much of the same with large flocks of Meadow Pipits, a Wheatear, a female Stonechat, a Redstart (the first for a little while), a Grey Wagtail, 30+ Golden Plovers and further visible migration included flocks of Linnets and a few Tree Sparrows passing over.
This afternoon it was back down to the Brampton Valley with many of the morning species still present. Additional birds included 2 Red Kites, a Grey Wagtail and 2 Crossbills.
Birds visible from the causeway at Ravensthorpe Res this afternoon included a juvenile Caspian Gull and a pair of Red-crested Pochard.
E & N
- Trip Reports Dec 2015
- Ringing - 27th Oct
- Birdwatching Site Maps 4th November
- Brazil 2012
- Images from Bob Bullock 14th June
- Robin's Wildlife Antics 31st May
- John Boland and his birds... 13th Feb
- Portugal 2013
- Presentations November 2016
- Ethiopia Nov 2013
- Useful Links 17th Oct
- Dave Jackson Images 8th August
- Clive Bowley Wildlife Images 10th June
- Robin's Wildlife Images 3rd August
- Brazil revisited 27th October